There was a public house here in 1859 but the art-nouveau influenced stucco exterior probably dates from 1906 when the brewery of Peter Walker took over the pre-existing building. Walter Thomas, designer of The Philharmonic Dining Rooms and The Vines, probably had some input to the design. Inside there is a splendid beaten copper bar and a monumentally impressive plaster ceiling. The clientele includes colourful regulars but also the transient trade from its proximity to Lime Street Station. Lewis describes it as having an air of sedate madness; enigmatic but accurate.
Alan Maycock © 2008
Walk 001 | Home