Built in 1880, this building replaced earlier premises in Mount Pleasant. Described variously as being in the domestic revival and old English styles, it was designed by C. O. Ellison. The sculptural content is not separately credited. There are a pair of lions rampant in terracotta above the porch entrance and two sculptural reliefs on either side, set within the groupings of ground floor windows. Each is a scene of Jesus healing by miracles. There is also a splendid colourfully painted frieze along the top floor windows.
Pevsner Architectural Guides: Liverpool by Joseph Sharples
The Pool Of Life; A Public Health Walk in Liverpool by Maggi Morris & John Ashton
Alan Maycock © 2008
Walk 002 | Home