The Masonic Hall (1)
Hope Street, Liverpool L1

Picture by Pat Neill
 
Designers: Danson & Davies
 
View next picture
 

The building dates back to 1872 although a significant remodelling was undertaken in 1932 by Fraser & Horsburgh, who altered the interior and replaced an originally central entrance with the present entrance on the right. Above the entrance (absent from the 1872 original) is the coat of arms of The United Grand Lodge Of England, sitting atop a pediment in an apsed arch supported by Ionic columns. Below the arms is the inscription Kodes La Adonai, "Holiness To The Lord". Above the central window at first floor level there is another coat of arms within a broken pediment and below a shallow arch. The coat of arms is flanked by winged angels and sits above a banner bearing the inscription Audi, Vide, Tace, "Hear, See, Be Silent (in full this phrase would be followed by si vis vivere in pace, " if you would live in peace").

Sources:
Pevsner Architectural Guides: Liverpool by Joseph Sharples
Minerva Lodge
Freemasonry 

Alan Maycock 2008

Walk 002 | Home