This building was designed by Henry Summers as an extension to The Eye & Ear Infirmary and was completed in 1880. It became the studio and offices of Norbury, Upton & Paterson, architectural carvers. On the right of the ground floor there was originally a cart entrance to the stone yard at the rear. The statue is of St Luke by the carvers themselves. The griffin combines the lion and the eagle, the most powerful beasts on land and in air and is used to denote divine power. The winged ox is a common representation of, or accompaniment to the disciple Luke.
Pevsner Architectural Guides: Liverpool by Joseph Sharples
The Oxford English Reference Dictionary
Alan Maycock © 2008
Walk 002 | Home