The Liverpool Queen Victoria District Nursing Association Building (1)
Princes Road, Liverpool L8

Picture by Carly Neill
 
View another picture
 
Designer: James F. Doyle
 

The building was designed by James F. Doyle who was to later use the sculptor C. J. Allen on The Royal Insurance Building in Dale Street. Allen is credited with the sculptural content of The Florence Nightingale Memorial which is set externally in the boundary wall. The notion of district nursing was quite radical in the mid 19th century. It was promoted by William Rathbone, who had paid for nursing care for his wife before she died in 1859 and wished to see this style of nursing extended to the poor. He funded a district nursing programme from 1859 onwards. He consulted Florence Nightingale and in 1862 funded a school and home for district nurses which was replaced by this building in 1900 with funds collected to mark Queen Victoria's long reign.

Sources:
The Pool Of Life; A Public Health Walk in Liverpool by Maggi Morris & John Ashton
Pevsner Architectural Guides: Liverpool by Joseph Sharples

Alan Maycock 2007

Walk 002 | Home

Friends of Liverpool Monuments