The Oratory
Cathedral, St James's Gardens, Liverpool L1

Picture by Pat Neill
 
Designer: J. A. Foster
 

The Oratory was built when a former quarry (now St James's Gardens) was laid out by John Foster Junior as a cemetery between 1827 and 1829. In 1980 Merseyside County Council assumed responsibility for its care and carried out major repairs. In 1986 it became part of the newly formed National Museums and Galleries on Merseyside. Funeral monuments from elsewhere have now been added to the original collection, including some from demolished churches on Merseyside, making the Oratory into a distinguished gallery of 19th century sculpture which complements the Walker Art Gallery’s rich holdings. Inside there are memorials to: Dr William Stevenson by John Patterson MacBride, William Ewart by Joseph Gott, Henry Park by John Gibson and Rev. Thomas Penswick by Peter Turnerelli. Access for groups of four or more can be arranged in advance with the National Museums and Galleries on Merseyside.

Source:
LiverpoolMuseums

Alan Maycock 2007

Walk 002 | Home

Friends of Liverpool Monuments