St Andrew's Church
Rodney Street, Liverpool L1

Picture by
 
Architect: John Foster junior
 

This church opened on 3rd December 1824, closed in 1975, and was destroyed by fire in 1983, after which one tower was demolished for safety reasons. The congregation still exists - worshipping at the Western Rooms within Liverpool Cathedral. The facade was designed by John Foster Jr. and was of neo-classical design with ionic columns and a portico. The interior contained splendid carved memorials, thankfully saved but now dispersed. The single story ruin to the north was the Italianate Sunday School. The long running saga over it's purchase, demolition or conservation has outlasted even that of the Main Post Office.

Sources:
Pevsner Architectural Guides: Liverpool by Joseph Sharples
Walks Through History: Liverpool by David Lewis

Alan Maycock 2007

Walk 002 | Home

Friends of Liverpool Monuments