The Wellington Rooms
Mount Pleasant, Liverpool L1

Picture by Pat Neill
 
Designer: Edward Aiken
 

Designed by Edward Aiken and built in 1816 following a public subscription and originally opened as the assembly rooms of The Wellington Club, this building is known to several generations of Liverpudlians as The Irish Centre. Derelict for a number of years, the most recent rescue proposal would see a boutique hotel rising behind but also well above the facade. Originally there were open porches in the centre and to the left and right of the entrance, the one on the right for carriage arrivals and the one on the left for sedan chairs, all were later enclosed for better protection and extra rooms. On the gates to the left there is now a pair of decorative devices of unknown origin, perhaps a thread spinning artefact, the one on the right retains a vestige of thread from a grooved spindle. On either side of the entrance are two relief panels of winged angels bearing garlands, said to be by John Gibson. An injudiciously placed flagpole obstructs the view of the right hand panel. Gibson was born in Conway in 1790, the family were to emigrate to America but never progressed beyond Liverpool where the young apprentice cabinet maker Gibson, first persuaded his masters to allow him only to wood-carve and then persuaded a firm of stone-masons to buy out his indentures so that he might work in stone instead.

Sources:
Pevsner Architectural Guides: Liverpool by Joseph Sharples & LiverpoolMuseums.org.uk

Alan Maycock 2007

Walk 002 | Home

Friends of Liverpool Monuments