L I V E R P O O L
MARITIME MERCANTILE CITY
WORLD HERITAGE SITE
SCULPTURES OF THE CULTURAL QUARTER

 

Statue of Sir Arthur Bower Forwood, 1836-1898
He was a Liverpool merchant and shipowner. He was a member of the City Council and served as Mayor. He became chairman of the Liverpool Constitutional Association, M.P. for Ormskirk, First Secretary to the Admiralty (1882–1892) and a Privy Councillor.
Sculptor: George Frampton
Bronze 1903
 
Statue of William Rathbone, 1819-1902
He was a merchant and philanthropist and one of the founders of district nursing. On Florence Nightingale’s advice, he set up the Liverpool Training School and Home for Nurses. He was instrumental in the foundation of Liverpool and North Wales University Colleges. The reliefs on the plinth illustrate his good works.
Sculptor: George Frampton
Bronze 1899
Statue of Alexander Balfour, 1824-1886
He was a shipowner and philanthropist who helped to found the Seaman’s Orphanage, the Seaman’s Institute and the Sailors’ Home.
Sculptor: Albert Bruce Joy
Bronze 1889
Statue of Canon T. Major Lester, 1829-1903
He was Anglican vicar of St Mary’s, Kirkdale, from 1855 and founder of Kirkdale Ragged Schools and Homes and later, an honorary canon of Liverpool. He was chairman of the Liverpool Self-help Emigration Society. From 1891 he was the chairman of the Liverpool School Board.
Sculptor: George Frampton
Bronze 1907

Statue of William Ewart Gladstone, 1809-1898
He was born in Liverpool, the son of William Gladstone, a merchant. He went on to be Prime Minister four times.
Sculptor: Thomas Brock
Bronze 1904
Statue of Monsignor James Nugent
He was born in Liverpool and ordained priest at St Nicholas pro-cathedral, Liverpool, in 1846. He was the first Roman Catholic chaplain of Walton Prison and founded the Catholic Institute in Hope Street and the Boys’ Refuge in St Anne Street. He popularised Penny Savings Banks among the Liverpool poor.
Sculptor: Frederick William Pomeroy
Bronze 1906
Memorial to the King’s Liverpool Regiment
This regiment was formed in 1685 as the Princess Anne of Denmark’s regiment of foot. It underwent several name changes before being called the King’s Liverpool regiment in 1881.
Sculptor: William Goscombe John
Bronze 1905

Web site and leaflet supported and sponsored by:


The information on this web page is available in a free leaflet at the 08 shop Liverpool
and other tourist locations in Liverpool  

 Map | Previous | First | Home

Page 6